Friday, December 9, 2011

Book Review: The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place by Maryrose Wood

As I wandered through the shelves, yet again, I spotted this book:  The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling. I am going to start by saying I found the vocabulary and pace superb.  Miss Lumley, although naive about the world at large, is a very likable character.  She reminds me of a young, NICE, Mary Poppins (if you have read Mary Poppins, you know it is not all “spoonfuls of sugar” and “steppin’ time”.)  I also found Lady Constance to be charming in her own right.  I could see a spoiled teenager suddenly becoming the woman of the house and not having a clue how to go about it.  She would have fits, pout, cry when she did not get her way – all good stuff! 
This novel is the first in a series about a governess and the three unruly children that she must “civilize” that have been found in the wood near Ashton Place.  The owner of the manor has made it clear that he wants the children to remain at the house (“Finders keepers!” is his motto), and his young bride has not a clue as to how to deal with children.  Thus, Ms. Lumley is hired to teach the children how to be, well, children.  She must teach them how to speak instead of howl, not to chase squirrels, and to always use a fork when eating.  Meat must always be cooked!  The climax is a party that the children must attend while minding their manors.
Ms. Wood sets up the story for a tale of mystery and intrigue:  how did these children get into the wood in the first place?  What is the howling behind the wall?  Who tried to sabotage the party?  All great questions – absolutely NONE were answered!  Not a single one!  This I cannot handle!  I know this is a “Book 1” of a series, but really, to introduce the characters and questions only?  That’s it? No “oh, so he’s the one who left them in the woods!” or “so that is why they were raised in the wood!” Nothing.  I am all about series.  I truly am, but I do feel that a book should be able to stand on it’s own as well.  Especially the first book of the series.  I can read Ruins of Gorlan, Twilight, H.P. and the Sorcerer’s Stone, The Uglies, Maze Runner, and The Hunger Games, and be able to walk away with some satisfaction that issues have been resolved.  Yes, I know that I will have to read more books to get the whole story, but at least there is a little carrot of resolution.
So, after reading this book, I can honestly say, yes, I would read the sequal just so I can find out answers to the bazillions of questions asked, but if none are answered in book 2, I am washing my hands of the whole series!

No comments:

Post a Comment