Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Book Review: I Am A Genius Of Unspeakable Evil And I Want To Be Your Class President


While shopping for books to place on the cornucopia of knowledge that is my library shelf, I wandered across this title.  I must admit, I was intrigued.  I began reading reviews ingratiated with phrases such as "laugh out loud funny" and "comedic writing at its best".  Now I was doubly intrigued.  So, I did it.  I bought the book along with countless others that I hoped would grab the attention of my adolescent readers.  Truth be told, I really wanted to read it because I thought, "If the title is this good, imagine what is on the inside!"  In four-to-six weeks the book arrived, and I immediately began reading it.  I was not disappointed.  The book follows the exploits of young evil genius Oliver, who hides his astounding intellect with astounding oafishness.  His mother provides unconditional love, and he loves her right back.  His dog, Lollipop, has been trained in the Basque language so that when Oliver gives her commands like "Kill" or "Maim", people think he is just speaking gibberish.  At school, Oliver gets enjoyment by messing with teacher's heads - he owns a cigarette company, so he has them print messages on his teacher's cigarettes like "take a bath" or "use deoderant".  Kids that try to pick on him generally get hit with some kind of chemical that makes them break out into a mass of pimples or suddenly find themselves with some sort of mysterious rash. 
Oliver has billions of dollars, owns major corporations, and even has his own private blimp, but the one thing he does not have is his father's approval.  Oliver decides that he will gain his father's approval as well as bring his self-rightousness down a notch by running for 7th grade class president.
Oliver must figure out how to run for class president against a worthy-enough-to-run-but-not-worthy-enough-to-win opponent, overthrow a dictator, survive an assassination attempt, and maintain his idiotic demeanor all at the same time.  And, oh yeah, figure out his feelings for the evil junior high "mean girl".
Part of the book gets to be a bit preachy about the democratic process, and it does poke jabs at some of the characteristics of our elected leaders, but overall it was a good read.
The book is hilarious, but I think some of the material might be over many of my students' heads. I have recommended it to my hard-core higher level readers, most of who, have stated they "thought it was funny."  As far as middle schoolers go, that's high praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment