Monday, January 30, 2012

Reorganizing a library...

Okay, so I have not been on for a few weeks to review Jack Blank, my current read.  But I have a really really good reason.  I am reorganizing the school library!  Well, okay, not the WHOLE library, but the fiction section at least.  I am assigning the books genres (a la Barnes and Noble), and I will put all of the genres together.  In order to do this, I have to look at each book summary and subject headings to determine which genre it goes in.  Assigning books by genre is not as easy as it sounds.  Some books are historical mysteries – do they go in historical fiction or mystery suspense?  Others might be adventures with a sci-fi twist.  Where do those go??  So, my brain cells are working overtime trying to complete this daunting task.  Once I determine in which genre the books fall, I then send them over to the library assistant who slaps a colored spine label on them (each of my genres are color coded) and changes their call number in the online catalog (we decided not to change the spine labels on the books though – that would take a lot more resources and we are on a limited budget – I cannot afford more spine labels!!)
So here is a picture that gives you an example of what I have done – as soon as I get all of the books color coded I will rearrange the shelves into genres.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment